1. 350th birth anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh being celebrated across country
- The 350th birth anniversary of the 10th and last Sikh Guru Guru Gobind Singh is being celebrated across the country.
- The main function being held at “Takht Harmandar Sahib” in Patna where Prime Minister Narendra Modi has participated in the Prakash Parva.
- Guru Gobind Singh Ji’s entire life was devoted to serving the people and fighting for values of truth, justice, and compassion.
- Guru Gobind Singh, born Gobind Rai (22 December 1666 – 7 October 1708) was the 10th Sikh Guru, a spiritual master, warrior, poet and philosopher.
- Gobind Singh was the son of Guru Tegh Bahadur (ninth Sikh guru) and Mata Gujri.
- Guru Gobind Singh was formally installed as the leader of the Sikhs at age nine, becoming the last of the living Sikh Gurus.
- Guru Gobind Singh initiated the Five K’s tradition of the Khalsa Kesh (uncut hair), Kangha (a wooden comb), Kara (an iron or steel bracelet worn on the wrist), Kirpan (a sword), Kacchera (short breeches).
2. Assam Biotech Conclave to begin today in Guwahati
- Today, the two-day Assam Biotech Conclave has begun in Guwahati (Assam).
- The Chief Minister of Assam Sarbanand Sonowal has inaugurated the conclave in presence of Science and Technology Minister Keshab Mahanta.
- The conclave is being organized by Guwahati Biotech Park in association with industry body FINER.
- The main highlights of this conclave will be business and industry-academia Session, technical and sericulture Session among others.
3. Spices export up 5% in volume in first half of 2016-17
- Spices export from India grew 5% in volume in the first half of 2016-17 and rose up to 8415.97 crore rupees during the period registering 7% increase in value.
- The total value of export was 7892 crore rupees during the corresponding period last year.
- Export of spices rose 4,37,360 tons during the period compared to 4,14,780 tons in the first half of the financial year 2015-16.
- Chilli became the most exported spice with the shipment of above 1.65 lakhs tons fetching 2307.75 crore rupees.
- The export of value added products like curry powder and pastes as well as spice oils and oleoresins increased during the period.
4. Arthur Morris inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame
- Former Australia cricketer Arthur Morris has become the 82nd player into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame by Steve Waugh in Sydney (Australia).
- Arthur Robert Morris (left-handed batsmen) has played 46 Test matches between 1946 and 1955.
- The ICC Cricket Hall of Fame recognizes the achievements of the legends of the game from cricket’s long and illustrious history.
- It was launched by the International Cricket Council (ICC) of Dubai on 2 January 2009, in association with the Federation of International Cricketers’ Associations (FICA).
5. Mahindra Singh Dhoni steps down as captain of T-20 & ODI format of cricket
- Indian cricketer Mahindra Singh Dhoni has announced to step down as captain of Team India’s limited over cricket matches.
- He will be available for selection for the ODI (One Day International) and T20 England series starting 15th of January.
- Earlier, Mr. Dhoni had earlier stepped down as Captain of Indias Test team.
- India had won a T-20 and ODI World Cup and a Champions Trophy title under the captaincy of Dhoni.
6. India win SAFF women’s Championship for 4th consecutive time
- India has defeated Bangladesh 3-1 to win their fourth consecutive South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Women’s Football Championship title in Siliguri.
- Indian are now unbeaten in 19 matches having won 18 and drawn one.
- This was Bangladesh’s maiden final appearance in the championship.
7. National Ice Skating Championship to begin today in Gurugram, Haryana
- Today, the two-day National Ice Skating Championship 2017 has begun in Gurugram, Haryana.
- The Around 300 ice skaters across the country will participate in the event being organized Ice Skating Association of India.
- The championship has been divided into two major disciplines Figure Skating and Short Track Speed Skating.
- Winners of the competitions will receive medals and certificates along with cash prizes and for the first time.
8. Robert Marchand sets new world record for cycling
- A Frenchman Robert Marchand (105-year) has set a new world record for cycling the furthest distance in one hour for riders aged 105 or older.
- Robert rode more than 22.5 kilometers at an indoor venue on the outskirts of Paris.
- The key to his good health is eating lots of fruit and vegetables every day and doing exercise.
- The former fireman was born in 1911 and took up cycling seriously in his 60s.
- The current men’s hour record is held by the UK’s Bradley Wiggins (54.526km) which he set in June 2015.