Anil Baijal Takes Oath As Delhi Lt Governor
- Former bureaucrat Anil Baijal has taken oath as the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi on 31 December 2016.
- Anil Baijal is a retired Indian Administrative Service officer and is the 21st Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.His appointment came after Najeeb Jung’s sudden resignation from the post.
Cash withdrawal limit from ATMs increased to Rs 4,500 per day
- In a major relief for the common man, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has increased the daily limit of ATM withdrawal to Rs 4500 from current Rs 2500 with effective from January 1st, 2017
- RBI in anotification issued stated that there has been no change in the weekly withdrawal limit, which stands at Rs 24,000, including from ATM, for individuals and Rs 50,000 in case of small traders.
- It further said such disbursals will predominantly be in the denomination of Rs 500.
PM launches Mobile App-BHIM for Aadhaar-based digital payment
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched a mobile app Bharat Interface for Money, BHIM to facilitate digital cash transactions with only a thumb print after the bank account is linked with Aadhaar gateway.
- Addressing Digi Dhan Mela at Talkatora stadium in New Delhi, Mr Modi said, payments through the new system can be made by just a thumb impression.
- He said, the new indigenously developed payment app BHIM has been named after the main architect of Indian constitution, Dr B R Ambedkar.
India, Singapore sign 3rd protocol for amending DTAA
- India and Singapore have amended the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income, by signing a Third Protocol on 30th December 2016.
- This is in line with India’s treaty policy to prevent double non-taxation, curb revenue loss and check the menace of black money through automatic exchange of information, as reflected in India’s recently revised treaties with Mauritius and Cyprus and the joint declaration signed with Switzerland.
General Bipin Rawat takes over as next Chief of Army Staff
- General Bipin Rawat elected as the next Chief of Army Staff. General Rawat has tremendous hands on experience of serving in combat areas, and at various functional levels in the Indian Army over the last three decades.
- ii. He has handled various operational responsibilities in many areas, including along the LoC with Pakistan, the LAC with China, and in the North-East.
Maharashtra sanctions Rs 2 crore for district-level sports complexes
- Maharashtra government has sanctioned disbursement of two crore rupees for the district-level sports complexes for which Sports training department of every district will be disbursing the funds.
- Education and sports department issued a government resolution for sanctioned amount would be the same is Rs 5.06 crore, out of which 1.95 crore rupees had been sanctioned for disbursement.
SP chief Mulayam Singh expels UP chief minister Akhilesh Yadav, Ram Gopal Yadav from the party for 6 years
- Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav has expelled his son and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for six years for alleged anti-party activities, putting the state ruling party on the brink of a split ahead of assembly elections next year.
- Also expelled for six years on the same grounds is the patriarch’s cousin Ram Gopal Yadav, a Rajya Sabha member.
- The rift in the party — with Mulayam and brother Shivpal Yadav on one side against the chief minister and Ram Gopal had come to the fore after separate election candidate lists were released by both camps.
V K Sasikala takes charge as AIADMK General Secretary
- In Tamil Nadu, V K Sasikala has taken charge as All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) general secretary.
- She is the sixth person and the second woman to hold the post.
- Sasikala Natarajan is a close confidante of Jayalalithaa, the late Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
RBI extends period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments limit
- Reserve Bank of India has extended the period of enhanced Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPI) limit of Rs 20,000 as part of efforts to promote digital payments.
- Keeping in view that Bank is undertaking a comprehensive review of the guidelines and framework for PPI issuance in the country, it has been decided to extend the measures till the completion of review of the PPI guidelines.
State Bank of India ties up with Magicbricks.com
- State Bank of India the country’s largest bank has tied up with online classifieds portal magicbricks.com, to conduct joint marketing activites and help rejuvenate the real estate sector. To kick start the MOU, SBI and Magicbricks are launching the ‘Seal the Deal’ campaign.
- Under Seal The Deal, SBI and Magicbricks will be hosting a mega online property show for SBI Approved Projects. This will be the first housing carnival in the industry at this scale.
Mother Dairy launches Aadhar-enabled payment system at booths
- To promote cash less transactions, Mother Dairy Fruit & Vegetable Pvt Ltd today introduced Aadhar enabled payment system in more than 1,000 milk booths and ‘Safal’ retail stores.
- This service would now be available in addition to the existing modes like E-wallets and SmartChange Cards.
Narinder Batra resign’s as IOA associate VP
- i.Senior functionary Narinder Batra has resigned as the associate vice-president of the Indian Olympic Association as a mark of protest against the IOA for not taking back its decision to appoint scam-tainted Suresh Kalmadi and Abhay Singh Chautala as honorary life presidents.
- ii.Strongly expressing his reservations over the appointments, Batra, who recently became the International Hockey Federation (FIH) president, said he was strongly against the backdoor entry of Kalmadi and Chautala in the IOA.
World’s highest bridge opens in China
- i.The world’s highest bridge has opened to traffic in China, connecting two provinces in the mountainous southwest and reducing travel times by as much as three-quarters.
- ii.The Beipanjiang Bridge soars 565 metres (1,854 feet) above a river and connects the two mountainous provinces of Yunnan and Guizhou.
Romania’s president appoints Sorin Grindeanu as the new Rome PM
- i.Romania’s president Klaus Iohannis has appointed Sorin Grindeanu as the country’s new prime minister, the president’s office announced.
- ii.Grindeanu was proposed for the position by a government coalition comprising election winners Social Democrat Party (PSD) and junior partner Liberal-Democrat Alliance (ALDE).
- iii.The president signed the decree of Grindeanu’s appointment.
India Today poll: Virat Kohli voted India’s Sportsperson of 2016
- i.Test captain Virat Kohli has emerged as India’s Sportsperson of the Year 2016 in a poll conducted by India .
- ii. Kohli, with 44.18% votes, pipped badminton ace PV Sindhu (31.51%) for the top spot while star all-rounder Ravichandran Ashwin came third with 13.83% of the votes.
- ii.Even though Kohli won the poll this year, all the six sportspersons who were a part of this poll were winners in their own rights
Kush Bhagat creates history in UAE tourney, wins 3 gold medals in chess championship
- i.Creating history, Mumbai prodigy Kush Bhagat has won all three gold medals on offer in the 1st Western Asia Youth Chess Championships.
- ii.The event held at Al Ain Chess Club in UAE, he has reigned supreme in all the three categories – rapid, blitz and standard.