International Day of Persons with Disabilities being observed today
- International Day of Persons with Disabilities is an international observance promoted by the United Nations (UN) since 1992.
- It also seeks to increase awareness of gains to be derived from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
- The theme for this year is “Achieving 17 Goals for the Future We Want”.
32nd anniversary of Bhopal gas tragedy being observed
- Today, Bhopal is observing 32nd anniversary of gas leak tragedy as on the intervening night of 2nd and 3rd December in 1984.
- Several hundred people were killed and scores of people were maimed for life when the Methyl Isocyanate gas was leaked from the pesticide plant of Union Carbide.
NGT bans disposable plastic in Delhi
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has banned the use of disposable plastic in Delhi and NCR with effect from 1st January next year .
- NGT also directed the Delhi government to take steps to reduce dumped waste.
- NGT refused to shut down the Okhla waste-to-energy plant and issued a slew of directions for its eco-friendly operation along with two other plants at Gazipur and Bhalswa.
Suresh Prabhu lays foundation stone for Rolling Stock Component factory
- The Union Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu laid the foundation stone for the Rolling Stock Component factory in Ratnagiri (Maharashtra).
- The centralised Railway Rolling Stock Components factory can discharge the works of overhaul and rehabilitation of safety sub-assemblies of railway rolling stock.
- 50 acres land has been acquired from the MIDC in Lote Parshuram area near Chiplun in Ratnagiri district.
Odisha to get Rs 70,000 crore from 12 coal blocks
- According to Union Coal and Power Minister Piyush Goyal ,Odisha will get 70 thousand crore rupees from the 12 coal blocks allocated to the state.
- He also said that every village of Odisha would be electrified by May 2018.
- Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan said Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) would set up an ethanol plant based on agricultural residue at Bargarh in Odisha.
Dhasai becomes first cashless village in Maharashtra
- ‘Dhasai’ village (Murbad taluka) in Thane district has become the first “cashless village” in Maharashtra.
- Now, All payments in the Dhasai village are being done through plastic money.
- ‘Dhasai’ has a population of around 10,000.
- Traders, vegetable , fruit vendors and others providing goods and services in Dhasai are using swipe machines for cashless transactions.
- The initiative to make this village cashless was taken by Bank of Baroda (BOB) in collaboration with NGO “Veer Savarkar Pratishthan”.
RBI extends deadline for deployment of Aadhar-enabled devices
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has extended the deadline for deployment of Aadhar-enabled devices that process card transactions using Aadhaar-based biometric authentication.
- The deadline is being extended to 30th June 2017.
- Earlier, RBI had asked banks to ensure that all new card acceptance infrastructure deployed with effect from 1st January, 2017.
UAE-based Indian girl wins Intl Children’s Peace Prize
- Indian environmental activist based in the UAE Kehkashan Basu (16-year) has won this year’s prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize for her fight for climate justice and combating environmental degradation.
- He was presented the award by Bangladesh’s Nobel peace laureate Mohammad Yunus (2016) in The Hague.
- The International Children’s Peace Prize is an initiative of Marc Dullaert, Chairman and Founder of the Dutch Kids Rights Foundation and awarded annually to a child anywhere in the world for his or her dedication to children’s rights.
Bekal Utsahi Poet and former MP passes away
- Veteran poet and former Rajya Sabha MP Bekal Utsahi (88-year) passed away due to brain haemorrhage in Delhi.
- Utsahi was awarded the Padmashree in 1976 for his contribution to literature.
- He was also honoured with Yash Bharti by the UP government.
Women’s Asia Cup T20: India records 99-run win over Nepal
- India recorded a 99-run win over Nepal in a Women’s Asia Cup T20 tournament match at Bangkok (Thailand).
- Indian women scored 120 for 5 in the allotted 20 overs and Nepal was all out for just 21 runs in 16.3 overs.
- It is the lowest total in women’s T20 Internationals.
- The 2016 Women’s Twenty20 Asia Cup is the sixth edition of the ACC Women’s Asia Cup, organised by the Asian Cricket Council.
- It is the second edition being played as a 20-over tournament and taking place from 26 November to 4 December 2016 in Thailand.