Constitution day: 26th November
- The Constitution Day of India is being observed on 26th November to spread awareness of Indian Constitution.
- On this day in 1949, constitution of India was adopted and came into force on January 26, 1950 marking the beginning of a new era in the history of free India.
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE) is the nodal Ministry for the celebration of Constitution Day.
- This year it is second edition of the Constitution Day.
- On this occasion Prime Minister Narendra has released two books on Constitution ‘Making of Constitution’ and ‘New Version of Constitution of India‘.
26th November: National Milk Day
- The National Milk Day (NMD) has been observed on 26th November across India to mark the birth anniversary of the Father of the White Revolution Dr Verghese Kurien.
- The idea of observing National Milk Day was first mooted by Indian Dairy Association (IDA) in 2014 on the lines of World Milk Day that is observed on 1st June every year under the aegis of UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
Note:Dr Verghese Kurien is also known as the Milkman of India and the architect of Operation Flood.
The idea that transformed India from a milk-deficit country into the world’s largest milk producer.
Centre forms committee to push cashless transactions
- The Union Government has constituted a new committee to form a strategy to expedite the process of transforming India into a cashless economy.
- The committee will be headed by Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
- It has been tasked with identifying various bottlenecks affecting access of digital payments.
Rajiv Gandhi assassin Nalini Sriharan to release book on prison life
- Nalini Sriharan who has remained in prison for more than 24 years acclaiming the title as the longest serving women prisoner in India, has finally given a nod to release a book about her prison life.
- In it she explains about the torture she went through inside the prison and her surprise meeting with Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
- The book titled, ”Rajiv Gandhi assasin, hidden truths, Priyanka meeting Nalini” was written by Egalaivan with Nalini’s permission.
Culture ministry releases coins to mark 500th anniversary of Hindu saint
- Shri Narendra Kumar Sinha, Secretary, Ministry of Culture released a Commemorative Non-Circulation Coin of Rs.500 and a Circulation Coin of Rs.10 on November 25, 2016, to mark a year-long celebration of “500th Anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s Coming to Vrindavan”.
- The Government of India is celebrating the ‘500th anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s Coming to Vrindavan’ since a year by organizing various programmes and Exhibitions on Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s life and teachings in association with Vrindavan Research Institute and ISKCON.
Mary Kom to Receive ‘Legends Award’ from International Boxing Association
- Celebrated Indian boxer M C Mary Kom is all set to add another honour to her glittering career when she receives the ‘Legends Award’ from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary on December 20.
- At present, the Olympian and a five-time world champion is a Rajya Sabha MP. President Pranab Mukherjee nominated her as a member of the Upper House of the Indian Parliament in April 2016.
- Mary Kom is also a multiple-time Asian champion and was named an AIBA brand ambassador during the 2016 AIBA Women’s World Boxing Championships.
South Indian Bank launches contactless debit card
- The Kerala-based South Indian Bank has launched contactless debit card which is based on Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.
- Customers can also use this card as contact chip card.
- If customers use this card at the contactless PoS terminal, the customer simply has to just wave the card on the terminal and the payment is processed wirelessly in a fast and secure manner.
Senior journalist Dileep Padgaonkar passes away
- Noted journalist and former Editor-in-Chief of the ‘Times of India’, Dilip Padgaonkar passed away on 25 November 2016, following a heart attack and multi-organ failure.
- He was 72.
- He began his career as a journalist in 1968 as The Times of India’s Paris correspondent. He became the newspaper’s editor in 1988, a post he held for six years.
Cuba’s former President Fidel Castro passes away
- Cuba’s former president and leader of the Communist revolution Fidel Castro passed away due to old age.
- ii. He was 90.
- He was commander in chief of the 1959 Cuban revolution 1959 and had successfully built a communist state on the doorstep of the United States during Cold War.
Co-creator of MiG-29 Ivan Mikoyan dies aged 89
- Ivan Mikoyan, Russian aircraft designer and one of the minds behind the MiG-29 fighter jet has died, aged 89.
- He was a lead engineer at MiG Aircraft Corporation’s design bureau, founded by his uncle Artyom Mikoyan.
- He awarded the USSR State Prize twice for his contributions to the MiG project and remained a company adviser until his death.
- He had ruled Cuba as a one-party state for almost half a century (from 1976 to 2008) before handing over the powers to his brother Raul Castro in 2008 due to ill health