India now an Associate Member of CERN.
- India signed an agreement to become associate member of the European Organisation for Nuclear Research (CERN), which is the world’s largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory.
- The agreement was signed by Sekhar Basu, chairman of Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), and CERN Director General Fabiola Gianotti in Mumbai.
- CERN, the Geneva based organization has 22 states as members and four states as associate members.
India grabs 20th spot on the Climate Change Performance Index.
- The report was released by Germanwatch and Climate Action Network Europe for 58 countries.
- While the top three spots in the list were left vacant, France was placed at the 4th
- As per the report, Canada (55), Australia (57) and Japan (60) are in the bottom group of this index.
EU selected as Chair and India Vice – Chair for the Kimberly Process 2018.
- The European Union will take over from Australia as the Chair of the Kimberly Process (KP) Certificate Scheme, Gem & Jewelry Export Promotion Council (GJEPC)in January 2018.
- India will serve as the Vice – Chair for 2018 and as the Chair in 2019.
New Super – Earth planet discovered by Scientists.
- The Exoplanet was discovered orbiting a red dwarf star which is at a distance of 32.7 light years.
- As per the researchers from the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias (IAC) and the University of La Laguna (ULL), the exoplanet, which has been named GJ 536 b is around 5.4 times the mass of Earth.
Bank Information Sharing Deal signed between India and Switzerland.
- India and Switzerland issued a joint statement informing that financial information regarding the accounts held by Indians in Switzerland and vice versa will be shared annually.
- The agreement was signed by Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes Sushil Chandra and Deputy Chief of Mission of Swiss Embassy in India, Gilles Roduit.
India conducts successful trial of Prithvi II Missiles.
- The two surface – to – surface missiles were test fired by the army from a test range at Chandipur in Odisha
- The missiles have a strike range of 350 km and are capable of carrying 500 kg to 1,000 kg of warheads.
NABARD to disburse Rs. 21000 crores to farmers.
- The Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das announced that NABARD (National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development) would disburse Rs. 21,000 crore the farmers to help them sow winter crops ahead of the sowing season.
- The money would be disbursed to District central cooperative banksfor onward payments to farmers.
Larsen & Toubro lays off 14000 employees.
- L&T, the biggest engineering firm of the country has laid off 14,000 employees i.e. almost 11.2% of its total workforce.
- As per the Chief Financial Officer R Shankar Raman, the downsizing was a result of digitization and productivity enhancement initiatives taken by the company.
Pankaj R. Patel appointed as the new president of FICCI.
- He is currently serving as the Chairman and Managing Director of Cadila Healthcare Ltd. (Zydus Cadila).
- He will take over from Harshavardhan Neotia as the new president of Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) for the year 2017 during the FICCI Annual General Meeting to be held on 16 and 17 December.
Balamuralikrishna, veteran Carnatic singer passes away.
- Mangalamapalli Balamuralikrishna, Carnatic singer and composer passed away in Chennai at the age of 86.
- He was also the recipient of the Padma Vibhushan (1991), the Mahatma Gandhi Silver Medal from UNESCO (1995), the Chevalier of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettresby the French Government (2005) etc