Manohar Parrikar commissions destroyer ‘INS Chennai’
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on 21st November commissioned ‘INS Chennai’, the third indigenously designed guided missile destroyer in the Kolkata class.
- With an overall length of 164 metres and displacement of over 7,500 tonnes, ‘INS Chennai’ is one of the largest destroyers in the Indian Navy’s fleet.
- The ship is armed with supersonic surface-to-surface BrahMos missiles and Barak-8 long-range surface-to-air missiles.
India successfully conducts test-fire of nuclear capable Prithvi-II missile
- India today successfully test fired the nuclear-capable Prithvi-II missile.ii. The twin trial was conducted from a test range in Chandipur, off the coast of Odisha.
- The Prithvi-II missile has a payload capacity of 500 kg to 1,000 kg and a strike range of 350 km.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar gets International peace prize
- Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was honoured with an International peace prize for his efforts in ensuring world peace.
- The ‘Dr Nagendra Singh International Peace Award’ was given to him by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The award has been instituted in the memory of Dr Nagendra Singh, an Indian judge at International Court of Justice, The Hague.
Nat Geo magazine cover features Mangalyaan’s Mars photo
- An image of the planet Mars taken by ISRO’s Mars-orbiting spacecraft Mangalyaan has found a place on the cover of the November edition of the National Geographic magazine.
- The spacecraft’s launch had completed three years on November 5. The mission, which had cost Rs. 450 crore, was made to last six months but has now survived for three years.
47th International Film Festival of India begins in Goa
- The 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), considered to be Asia’s oldest film festival, began in Goa on Nov 20, 2016.
- The Republic of Korea is the focus country of IFFI 2016.
- Legendary singer S P bala subrahmanyam was honoured with ‘Centenary Award for Indian Film Personality of the year’ at the opening ceremony of the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
- The musician dedicated the honour to the soldiers.
NASA launches ‘next generation’ weather satellite
- The National Aeronautic and Space Administration (NASA) on 20 November 2016 launched the highly advanced geostationary weather satellite Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellite-R (GOES-R).
- The Satellite was launched by NASA on behalf of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). It was launched on board of Atlas 5 rocket from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida.
Jagdish Singh Khehar appointed Executive Chairman of National Legal Services Authority
- The Government of India has appointed Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- He succeeds Justice Anil R. Dave, who retired from the Supreme Court.
Al Nahyan conferred with prestigious Mother Teresa International Award
- Shaikh Abdullah Bin Zayed Al Nahyan was awarded the prestigious Mother Teresa International Award by the Mumbai-based NGO Harmony Foundation.
- Shaikh Abdullah, UAE Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, was conferred with the award for his contribution in promoting peace and stability in the West Asia.
Siby Sebastian appointed as CEO of SBM Bank (Mauritius), India
- The State Bank of Mauritius (SBM) Group has appointed Siby Sebastian as Chief Executive for its India operations.
- The SBM Group operates four branches in Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Ramachandrapuram.
- State Bank of Mauritius, is a bank in Mauritius. It is licensed as a commercial bank by the Bank of Mauritius, the national banking regulator.