Sreejesh, Harmanpreet in fray for FIH awards
- P.R. Sreejesh and Harmanpreet Singh are the only Indians in fray for the Annual Hockey Stars awards 2016
- Sreejesh is a contender for the goalkeeper of the year award, while upcoming defender Harmanpreet is a part of the list for the rising star of the year, which is a category for U-23 players.
- There were no Indian contenders for the player of the year award in both the men’s and women’s categories.
Kakarala Madhavi Appointed as the Andhra Odisha Border (AOB) Secretary
- The CPI (Maoist) Central Committee has reportedly appointed Kakarala Madhavi as the Andhra Odisha Border (AOB) secretary
- She replaces Bakuri Venkataramana, alias Ganesh, who was killed in the encounter at AOB between October 24 and 26
- Ms. Madhavi served the party in different roles for about 10 years in Telangana, Odisha, Dandakaranya and other areas.
- Another senior Maoist leader Pothula Kalpana has been appointed in-charge of military operations in the area. Ms. Kalpana has been part of the banned outfit for about 10 years.
‘The Guest’ won short film award at MAMI Film Fest
- Short film ‘The Guest’, which emerged as the winner in the ‘Large Short Films’ category at the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI) Film Festival has been released online.
- The short film has been directed by Ayappa KM and stars Avinash Tiwari and Yana Mistry. The film is about a young man, who unknowingly ends up in a strange place.
Narinder Batra becomes first Indian president of FIH
- Narinder Batra on Saturday became the first Indian to be elected the president of the International Hockey Federation
- Batra, who is the president of Hockey India, defeated David Balbirnie of Ireland and Australia’s Ken Read to become the 12th FIH president — the first Asian to grab the post.
- Batra succeeds Leandro Negre, who has been the FIH chief since 2008.
PM Modi to lay foundation stone of new international airport at Mopa in Goa
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of a new international airport at Mopa in north Goa today.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will also attend the function.
- This will be the PM’s gift to Goa before elections there in February.
- This would be the second visit of the Prime Minister to the state in the last two months, the first one being during the BRICS summit in south Goa.
11-year-old Pune girl wins Google India’s doodle competition
- Pune-based Anvita Telang has been declared the winner of Google India’s ‘Doodle 4 Google’ competition. This year’s theme was ‘If I could teach anyone anything…’ and through her doodle, the 11-year-old said she would “like to teach everyone to take time to enjoy every moment of life”.
- Her doodle will be displayed on Google India’s homepage on November 14.
Mark Zuckerberg named Fortune’s Business Person of the Year
- Facebook Co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg has been named by Fortune magazine as the ‘Business Person of the Year’ for 2016.
- According to Fortune, the 32-year-old’s “ability to look into the future, his otherworldly consistency and business discipline” make him an effective businessperson.
- Zuckerberg is currently the world’s fifth richest person, with an estimated net worth of $50.9 billion.