India and Japan sign civil nuclear deal
- India and Japan has signed a landmark civil nuclear cooperation deal after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterpart Shinzo Abe.
- Now, India has become the first non-NPT country with which Japan has signed a Civil Nuclear Agreement.
- The deal would allow Japan to export nuclear technology to India and boost bilateral economic and security ties and facilitate US-based players to set up atomic plants in India.
- India has already signed civil nuclear deal with ten other countries (United States, Russia, Mongolia,South Korea, France, Australia, Namibia, Kazakhstan, Argentina and Canada).
HRD Minister launches the world’s largest nation-building digital Initiative
- Union Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated the world’s largest digital national building initiative “Smart India Hackathon 2017” by handing over a torch to technology students.
- The ‘Smart India Hackathon 2017′ is a pan-India 36-hour nonstop digital programming competition which will take place in more than 20 centres simultaneously.
- The Hackathon will have nearly 500 problem statements in all which will be published on innovate.mygov.in.
Dharmendra Pradhan launches Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Punjab
- Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana‘ in Punjab.
- Seven lakh pending families of Punjab will be provided free gas connections under the scheme which will make Punjab 100% kitchen smoke-free.
- The first such type of project will be established at Bathinda at a cost of 500 crore rupees.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is set to extend benefit of the scheme to 1.5 crore beneficiaries during the current financial year 2016-17.
Defence ministry to get special fund for Swacch Bharat mission
- Defence minister Manohar Parriakar has suggested Defence estate officials and cantonment boards to focus on modern state of the art facilities to convert waste to energy.
- Defence ministry will get special fund for Swacch Bharat mission.
Union Government launches Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana for entrepreneurs
- The Union Minister of State(I/C) for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajiv Pratap Rudy has launched “Pradhan Mantri Yuva Yojana” (PMYY) to scale up an ecosystem of entrepreneurship for youngsters.
- PMYY is MSDE’s flagship scheme on entrepreneurship education and training.
- The scheme spans over five years with a project cost of 499.94 crore rupees.
- It will provide entrepreneurship education and training to over 7 lakh students in 5 years through 3,050 institutes.
Govt. launches “Healthy India Initiative” magazine & “No More Tension” Mobile Application
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare J P Nadda has launched Healthy India Initiative magazine and No More Tension mobile App.
- The app was launched for promotion of health and to strengthen the health communications programmes.
- Healthy India Magazine will be a quarterly magazine and it will cater to health related information.
- The main objective of ‘No More Tension’ is to provide information to users regarding stress such as, what is stress, effects, symptoms and its management.
Uttarakhand Ratna for ND Tiwari
- Chief Minister of Uttarakhand Harish Rawat has conferred the Uttarakhand Ratna award to the Ex-chief minister Narayan Dutt Tiwari (91-year) on the occasion of the state’s 17th foundation day.
- He recognized for his “outstanding contribution” to the state development.
- Narayan Dutt Tiwari was thrice Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh (1976–77, 1984–85, 1988–89) and once Chief Minister of Uttarakhand (2002–2007).
- He served in Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi’s cabinet as Minister for External Affairs in 1986–1987.
- Tiwari was serving as Governor of Andhra Pradesh from 2007 until 2009, when he was forced to resign following a sex scandal.
FDI increases by 77.5% to $ 5.15 billion this year in Sep
- The Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the country increased by 77.5% to 5.15 billion Dollar in September this year.
- According to the data of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, the FDI had stood at 2.9 billion Dollar in September last year.
- Services received the maximum FDI of 2.29 billion dollar during the first half of this fiscal, followed by telecommunications, trading, computer software and hardware and automobile.
RBI hands over WB govt list of 194 entities raising money illegally
- The market intelligence wing of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has handed over to the West Bengal finance department a list of 194 dubious financial entities still collecting deposits illegally from the state.
- RBI has also cautioned the state government that in absence of an immediate crackdown, the activities of such entities can trigger another Saradha-like financial scam.
- The apex bank has also handed over to the state government supportive documents about these 194 dubious entities.
Sharapova to return as UN goodwill ambassador
- According to the United Nation (UN), Russian Tennis star Maria Sharapova will be once again goodwill ambassador when her doping ban expires in April next year and she returns to International Tennis competition.
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP) appointed the tennis star as a goodwill ambassador in February 2007, but suspended her in March after her she failed a drug test.
- Earlier, Sharapova’s 24 months ban for testing positive for Meldonium was cut to 15 months by the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for sport.
- Maria Yuryevna Sharapova is a Russian professional tennis player.
- She has earned the Silver medal for Russia in women’s singles at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
- Sharapova won 35 singles titles and five Grand Slam titles (French Open-2 , one each at the Australian Open, Wimbledon, and US Open).