India wins first ever international team roller skating medal
- India has won its first-ever medal in an international roller skating racing event at the ongoing Asian Championships in Lishui,China.
- The trio of Dhanush Babu, Vikram Ingale and Nikhilesh Tabhane have won the bronze in the 3,000-meter team relay event.
- The final was contested amongst five teams, with South Korea (gold), China ( second) and India narrowly pipping Chinese Taipei to the third position.
- This is the first time in India’s two decade competitive roller skating history, that a medal has been secured in a racing event.
Sports Ministry recognizes new boxing federation
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel has granted recognition to Boxing Federation of India (BFI) as National Sports Federation for Boxing.
- The recognition to the BFI will give a big boost to the boxers for their preparation for the Tokyo Olympics and other major international competitions.
- There has been no National Sports Federation for Boxing since 2012.
Japan’s Prince Mikasa, world’s oldest royal passes away
- Japanese Prince Mikasa passed away at the age of 100.
- Mikasa was born on 2nd December, 1915 and was the brother of the current Emperor Akihito’s father and wartime emperor Hirohito.
- He was the oldest imperial family member in the world.
Delhi Govt. to set up air treatment system to deal with air pollution in city
- The Delhi State PWD Minister Satyendra Jain has announced a three-tier air treatment system to deal with rising air pollution in the city ahead of Diwali.
- The government in collaboration with National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) and IIT (Bombay) set up the entire system within 45 days.
- This is for the first time that the city administration has taken such steps to bring down rising air pollution in the city.
Railway Minister launches a new train service between Anand Vihar to Ballia
- Railway minister Suresh Prabhu has launched a new train service through video conferencing between Anand Vihar to Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
- It will run weekly between these two destinations.
- It was a long pending demand of the Ballia people to introduce a direct train between Ballia and Delhi.
Fix minimum wage for unskilled agricultural labor in C-class towns in central sphere
- The Union govt. has decided to fix the minimum wage for unskilled agricultural labour in C-class towns in central sphere at 350 rupees per day to be effective from 1st November.
- At present, agriculture workers in the central sphere are paid as per the rates prescribed under the national floor level minimum wage (160 rupees per day).
- At present, the states are free to fix wages for various category of workers as there is no benchmark minimum wage which is applicable across the country.
- After the amendment, the states will have to maintain a benchmark minimum wage fixed by the Center.
Microsoft launches India’s first Cyber-security Engagement Center in Delhi
- Microsoft has launched its first full-scale Cyber-security Engagement Center (CSEC) in Delhi.
- It is first-of-its-kind Cyber-security Center in India and overall 7th in the world after Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Singapore, Berlin and Washington DC.
- It will bring together Microsoft capabilities to foster deeper Cyber-security collaborations with public and private sector organisations.
Country’s Forex Reserves rises by USD 1 billion to USD 367.14 billion
- Country’s Forex Reserves rose by USD 1 billion to USD 367.14 billion for the last week ended (21st Oct)on the back of the increase in the core currency assets.
- According to The Reserve Bank Foreign Currency Assets (FCAs) a major component of the overall reserves, increased by USD 1.015 billion to USD 341.923 billion.
- Gold reserves remained steady at USD 21.406 billion.
- The special drawing rights with the International Monetary Fund declined by USD 5.4 million to USD 1.463 billion.