1. Indian-origin Kiara Nirghin wins 2016 Google Science Fair prize
- Indian-origin South African teen Kiara Nirghin (16-year) has won a $50,000 scholarship, the grand prize at the annual Google Science Fair held in United States.
- She has won this prestigious scholarship for her work using orange peel to develop a cheaper “super-absorbent material” that helps soil retain water.
- She is Grade 11 student at private school St Martin’s.
The Google Science Fair is a programme for any budding scientists between the ages of 13 to 18, who are invited to solve the world’s biggest challenges using science and technology.
2. Elephant researcher Prajna Chowta conferred with knighthood by France
- Elephant researcher and Film-maker Prajna Chowta (46-years) has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the French government.
- The National Order of Merit is a French order of merit with membership awarded by the President of the French Republic.
- The official ceremony is expected to be held later this year in Bengaluru(Karnataka).
- Prajna Chowta is the founder of Aane Mane Foundation ,researching and conserving wild Asian elephants.
3. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement DBT in Kerosene
The DBT scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the State (Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara) from 1st October.
Under the Scheme, PDS kerosene is being sold at non-subsidized price and the subsidy is being transferred to consumers directly into their bank accounts.
4. Jawhar Sircar resigns as CEO of Prasar Bharati Corporation
- Jawhar Sircar has resigned as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Prasar Bharati Corporation.
- Sircar resignation has come four months ahead of the end of his tenure which was about to end in February 2017.
- He was appointed as Prasar Bharati CEO in 2012.
Prasar Bharati is a statutory autonomous body which was established under the Prasar Bharati Act and came into existence on 23 November 1997.
5. Yesudas to be brand ambassador of ‘Haritha Keralam’ project of Kerala
- Eminent playback singer K J Yesudas ( 76-year) has been Chosen as the brand ambassador of its ambitious ‘Haritha Keralam‘ project by the Kerala’ government
- Haritha Keralam (Green Kerala) project is a massive initiative envisaged for a garbage-free and clean state.
6. EC launches mobile app for UP assembly polls
- The Election Commission (EC) has launched a new mobile application for more transparency and effective monitoring of electoral rolls in the ongoing revision of voters’ list in Uttar Pradesh.
- “The mobile app for ERMS (Electoral Rolls Management System) will provide details regarding addition and deletion of names from the voters’ list .
- The status of the applications filed by voters for either deleting or adding of name will also be available booth-wise on the app.
- The app has been developed by the UP state unit of the National Informatics Centre (NIC).
7. Kersti Kaljulaid Elected First Female President of Estonia
- Kersti Kaljulaid (46-years) has been elected as the President of Estonia by the parliament.
- Kaljulaid (a European Union accountant) will be the first female president of Estonia.
- She will succeed the current president Toomas Hendrik Ilves who is stepping down next week after two five-year terms in the ceremonial post.
8. RBI announces 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Urjit Patel has announced his first and country’s 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement for the year 2016-17.
- The Reserve Bank of India has cut Repo rate by 25 bps to 6.25 percent.
- Reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 5.75 per cent, and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 6.75 per cent.
- All six members of the monetary policy committee voted in favour of cutting Repo rate.
Monetary policy is the process by which the monetary authority of a country controls the supply of money.
9. SBI becomes first domestic bank to open branch in Yangon
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has became the first domestic bank of India to open a branch in the capital city of Yangon, Myanmar.
- Ghanshyam Srivastava will be the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the SBI Yangon branch.
- Earlier, Myanmarese central bank has allowed SBI to open a branch with the primary objective of extending wholesale banking services to foreign corporate.
- The SBI Yangon branch is the 54th foreign branch of the State Bank of India.