Ajinkya Rahane & Rohit Sharma conferred with Arjuna Award
Sports Minister Vijay Goel has conferred Arjuna Awards to cricketers Rohit Sharma (for 2015) and Ajinkya Rahane (for 2016) at a function in New Delhi.
Earlier, the two cricketers could not receive the awards from the President Pranab Mukherjee as they were participating in international tournaments.
- The Arjuna Awards are given by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, the government of India to recognize outstanding achievement in National sports from 1961.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 500,000, a bronze statue of Arjuna and a scroll.
2. WRD signs MoU with Agriculture Ministry to take up organic farming
The Union Water Resources Ministry (WRD) Uma Bharti and Agriculture Ministry Radha Mohan Singh has signed a MoU in New Delhi to encourage farmers of over 5,000 villages along the Ganga to take up organic farming .
- It will help curb pollution caused by chemical fertiliser-laden runoff in the river.
- The Agriculture Ministry will develop organic farming in each Gram Panchayat representing a cluster under “Paramaparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana“.
Bihar CM Nitish launches website on 350th Prakash Utsav
Chief Minister of Bihar Nitish Kumar has launched a website to provide information on the celebration of 350th Prakash Utsav (three days) of the first Sikh guru Guru Gobind Singh.
- The website has been developed by tourism department and provides information to visitors about how to reach Patna and where to stay during the function.
- Visitors are expected to arrive in the mega event which is scheduled in January 2017.
Former Italian PM Carlo Azeglio Ciampi passes away
Former Italian president, prime minister and central bank governor Carlo Azeglio Ciampi (95-year) has passed away.
- As treasury minister,he is credited with leading Italy into the euro currency.
- He also selected the design of the Italian 1-euro coin.
US playwright Edward Albee passed away
US playwright Edward Albee (88-year) has passed away at his home on Long Island near New York,USA.
- Three-time Pulitzer Prize winner Albee was the author of “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?“.
- He was considered America’s greatest living playwright after the deaths of Arthur Miller and August Wilson in 2005.
Chris Gayle launches his autobiography ‘Six Machine’ in India
West Indies opener Chris Gayle has launched his autobiography ‘Six Machine‘.
It contains extensive details about his life and career.
Young Yazidi woman appointed as a UN Ambassador
A young Yazidi Nobel Peace Prize nominee woman Nadia Murad Basee Taha (23-year) has been appointed as a UN Ambassador.
- She is the Goodwill Ambassador for the Dignity of Survivors of Human Trafficking of the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- Murad was captured in Iraq in 2014 and had been bought and sold several times by the militant group.
Atul Kumar Goel takes charges as ED in UBI
General Manager of Allahabad Bank Atul Kumar Goel has taken charge as Executive Director (ED) in Union Bank of India (UBI).
- The appointment is for a period of 3 years.
Mormugao launched today at Mumbai’s Mazgaon Dock
Indian Navy’s 2nd guided missile destroyer “Mormugao” has launched at Mumbai’s Mazgaon Dock by Chief Guest Mrs. Reena Lanba, wife of Admiral Sunil Lanba (Chief of the Naval Staff). The ship will be fitted out and inducted into the Navy two years later.
- The first ship of project 15B class destroyers was ‘Visakhapatnam’(launched on 20th April in 2015).
- The Mormugao spans 163 meters in length and is powered by 4 Ukrainian gas turbine engines to achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- The Mormugao is armed with the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, which can hit targets at land and at sea 300 km away.
India finishes 2nd in Track Asia Cup
India has ended their campaign in the Track Asia Cup at 2nd position at the Cycling Velodrome in IG Stadium in New Delhi.
- India’s medals tally comprises 16 (5 gold, 4 Silver and 7 bronze).
- Hong Kong topped the table with 18 medals (11 Gold, 4 Silver and 3 bronze).
- Deborah (21-year) turned out to be the star performer for the country, having clinched three gold and one silver.