India Blue wins 2016-2017 Duleep Trophy tournament
Gautam Gambhir-led India Blue has won the day/night Duleep Trophy Cricket tournament (55th season) played with a pink ball (5-day)in Greater Noida.
- In the Final, they defeated India Red captained by Yuvraj Singh by 355 runs.
- Cheteshwar Pujara was named the Player of the Match.
- Ravinder Jadeja bagged 5 wickets in the second innings, finished the game with a 10-wicket.
- The Duleep Trophy is a domestic first-class cricket competition played in India between teams representing geographical zones of India.
- The tournament was contested by three teams, namely India Red, India Blue and India Green.
Graeme Hick signs deal to become Australia’s batting coach
Former England batsman Graeme Hick (50-year)has been appointed as Australia’s new full-time batting coach until March 2020.
- Hick has been Cricket Australia’s high-performance coach since 2013.
- Hick will take up his post before Australia host South Africa for three tests later this year.
15 September: International Day of Democracy
Today, International Democracy Day is being observed to raise public awareness about the democratic system.
- This year’s theme is “Democracy and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”.
- The UN General Assembly had decided in November 2007 to observe ‘International Democracy Day‘ every year on 15th September.
Hiroshi Nakagawa takes over as Chairman of Isuzu Motors India
Japanese automobile maker Isuzu Motors has appointed Hiroshi Nakagawa as the Chairman of Isuzu Motors India (IMI).
- Hiroyasu Miura, the erstwhile Chairman of IMI will take over as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Isuzu Engineering Business Centre India Pvt Ltd (IEBCI).
- Isuzu Motors Limited is a Japanese commercial vehicle and diesel engine manufacturing company headquartered in Tokyo.
Nawazuddin appointed brand ambassador of UP farmers’ scheme
The Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has appointed Bollywood actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui as the brand ambassador of its flagship programme ‘Samajwadi Kisan Beema Yojana‘.
- The scheme provides for cashless treatment up to Rs 2.5 lakh and Rs. one lakh for the organ transplant.
Axis Bank, BHU team up for banking courses
Axis Bank has tied up with Faculty of Commerce at Banaras Hindu University (BHU) to offer specialised banking courses.
- The partnership will offer courses like Master of Financial Management (MFM), Masters in Commerce (M.Com.), Master of Financial Management (Risk & Insurance),Master of Foreign Trade etc.
- The courses will be designed to introduce the students to functioning of banking industry in India and to academically and vocationally prepare them for corporate world.
Vice-President to represent India at 17th NAM Summit
Vice-President Md. Hamid Ansari will represent India at the upcoming 17th Summit of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM). The Summit will be held at Margarita Island in Venezuela on 17th and 18th September.
- India hosted the 7th NAM Summit in 1983 in New Delhi and last NAM Summit was hosted by Iran in 2012.
- The summit will be preceded by deliberations at the Ministerial and Senior Official levels.
Defence Minister launches re-designed website of DDP
Today, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has launched the re-designed website of Department of Defence Production (DDP) in New Delhi.
- The website has used the Content Management Framework (CMF) developed by National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- The website provides news updates, policies, procedures, publications, directory of officials and media contents.
196% growth registers in tourist arrival in August 2016
A total of over 66 thousand tourists arrived in August this year as compared to around 22 thousand during the month of August 2015.
- Over 196% growth has been registered in tourist arrival on e-Tourist Visa in August this year over the same period last year.
- E-Tourist Visa facility is available for citizens of 150 countries arriving at 16 Airports in India.