India wins 4 golds in ITTF junior championships
India has won four golds, one silver and five bronze medals in the International Table Tennis Federation Junior and Cadet Open Championships (ITTF)-2016 at Indore(Madhya Pradesh).
- Taipei topped the table claiming five Gold.
- India won three singles gold medals through Varuni Jaiswal, Manav Thakkar and Ishhita Gupta.
- India has won the Junior Boys doubles gold when Ananth Devarajan and Manav Thakkar combined to outwit Taipei’s Lai Chi-Chien and Tai Ming-Wei (11-7, 7-11, 11-7, 8-11, 12-10).
Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 US Open men’s title
Swiss professional tennis player Stan Wawrinka (31-year) has defeated world no 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to claim a third Grand Slam title at the US Open tennis tournament 2016.
- In the final,Wawrinka secured a 6-7 (1/7), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 victory over Djokovic.
- This is his third major title (Australian Open-2014, French Open-2015 and US Open-2016).
Angelique Kerber wins US Open women’s title
Germany’s Angelique Kerber has defeated Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) by 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 to win 2016 US Open Women’s Singles title.
- This is her second Grand Slam trophy of the year (won the Australian Open).
- She has become the first German to win the US Open since Steffi Graf in 1996.
Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares win 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title
Jamie Murray (Britain) and Bruno Soares (Brazil) has won the 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title.
They defeated Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-2,6-3.
Army Green beat Neroca FC 6-5 to lift Durand Cup
Army Green have won the Durand Cup Football Title 2016. In the final of Asia’s oldest football tournament in New Delhi, Army Green defeated Neroca FC 6-5 via penalty shootouts. Army Green serves as one of the football teams for the Indian Army.
- The Durand Football Tournament is a football competition in India which first held in 1888.
- It is co-hosted by the Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS) and Osians, the winner gets Rs. 50 lakh.
- The Tournament is named after its founder, Sir Mortimer Durand, Foreign Secretary in charge of India from 1884 to 1894.
Subramanian Swamy awarded ‘Tamil Ratna’ in United States
BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy has been honoured with ‘Tamil Ratna’ award by a body of Tamil diaspora in New York (USA)
- Swamy has honoured for fighting corruption and working for more transparency in the functioning of the government.
- Earlier, Tamil Ratna awardees include Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman and movie director Bharathi Raja.
Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 awarded to Jharana Das
Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has honored Renowned Odia cine actress Jharana Das and Odishi dance guru Kishore Kumar Mohanty with the prestigious Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 for lifetime achievement.
- The award, given in memory of the revered Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra, carries a cash prize of Rs. one lakh and a citation.
Pakistan appoints Wasim Bari as manager of national cricket team
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has been appointed former Test captain Wasim Bari (68-years) as the senior men’s team’s manager for the forthcoming series against West Indies in the UAE.
- He will take over managerial duties from Intikhab Alam.
- Bari’s tenure will begin with the T20I assignment against West Indies(starting from September 23).
CBDT launches e-nivaran to resolve I-T grievances
The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has launched “e-nivaran” (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances related to refunds, ITRs and PAN issues.
- Its link will be available on the e-filing portal “http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in” of the department.
- It was launched as part of CBDT’s initiative to reduce instances of harassment of the public when it comes to complaints related to the I-T department.
Govt. launches toll-free number for postal complaints
The Union government has launched a toll-free number 1924 to register postal complaints. The service will be initially operational for 12 hours on working days between 8 AM to 8 PM in Hindi, Malayalam, and English.
- TheDepartment of Personnel (DoP) will set up a nodal officer in all postal circles who will handle public complaints.
- The complaints received on the toll-free number would be registered in Computerised Customer Care (CCC) Centre portal by the operators at the Dak Bhawan and the 11 digits ticket number would be provided to the complainants.