Pankaj Advani wins historic bronze at 6 Red Snooker World Championship
Fifteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani has become the first cueist from India to win a medal at the prestigious Sangsom 6 Red Snooker World Championship as he settled for a bronze after losing the semifinal to Chinese Ding Junhui, in Bangkok.
- In the quarterfinals, the Indian received a walkover from Michael Holt who withdrew due to personal reasons.
Mariyappan Thangavelu wins India’s first Gold medal at Rio Paralympic Games
Mariyappan Thangavelu has won India’s first gold medal at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. He won the gold in the Men’s High Jump T-42 event with a leap of 1.89 metres. With this, Thangavelu also became the first Indian high-jumper to win gold at the Paralympics.
- Bronze in the event also went to India through Varun Singh Bhati, who jumped his personal best of 1.86 metres to finish third.
- This was India’s overall third gold at the Games and the first after 12 years.
- India had won its first ever Paralympics Gold in the 1972 Heidelberg Games through Swimmer Murlikant Petkar.
Novel on Apatani tribe of Arunachal Pradesh wins MM Bennetts Award
A Novel based on Apatani tribe of Arunachal Pradesh titled “Into the Hidden Valley” authored by Stuart Blackburn has won 2016 MM Bennetts Award for Historical Fiction in the United Kingdom(UK).
- The author was presented with this award at the HNS Conference in Oxford.
- Into the Hidden Valley explores and portrays the impacts of the forces of colonialism on both sides when this settled civilisation forcibly collides with British Empire.
T R Zeliang receives Pangkor Dialogue Award in Malaysia
Chief Minister of Nagaland T R Zeliang has received “Pangkor Dialogue Award 2016″ at Ipoh city in Malaysia for the efforts made by the people of the state for environmental preservation and promotion.
- Zeliang was awarded by the organisers- Institute Darul Rudzuan and the Malaysian government.
Haryana wins Best Horticulture State award
Haryana has won ‘Best Horticulture State’ award of the Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) for the concerted efforts made by the state government to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture.
- The award was received by Haryana Agriculture Minister OP Dhankar at 9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016 in New Delhi.
Indian Coast Guard commissions offshore patrolling vessel ‘Sarathi’ in Goa
Rajnath Singh (Union Home Minister) and Manohar Parrikar (Union Defence Minister) have been commissioned the offshore patrolling (OPV) vessel, “Sarathi” at Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL) shipyard at Vasco in south Goa.
- It is 105-meter long and is most advanced new generation off-shore patrol vessel.
- This vessel is the third in the series of six OPVs built by the shipyard for Indian Coast Guard.
- It is designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Ltd (GSL).
BRICS Wellness Workshop begins in Bengaluru
Union Minister for Chemicals & Fertilizers and Parliamentary Affairs Ananth Kumar has inaugurated the two- day BRICS Wellness Workshop at Bengaluru (Karnataka).
- The Workshop has been organised by Ministry of AYUSH and Ministry of External Affairs with support of Government of Karnataka.
- It will discuss the importance of traditional medicine in contemporary community health care due to its health promotive, disease preventive, curative, rehabilitative and rejuvenation properties.
Five-day Haj pilgrimage begins today in Saudi Arabia
The five-day annual Haj pilgrimage begins today. Millions of Muslims from across the world trek from the holy city of Mecca to assemble in Mina in Saudi Arabia.
- They will spend the night there and move towards the plains of Arafat at dawn tomorrow for the day’s main ritual of Haj-reciting prayers.
- This year nearly 1, 36,000 Indians are performing Haj .
Odisha Govt. launches pension scheme for construction workers
Pension-Scheme-for-Construction-Workers-odisha. Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik has launched a new pension scheme for construction workers at a function in Bhubaneswar(Odisha).
- As per the scheme, the construction workers above 60 years of age will get pension of Rs. 300 per month while workers above 80 years of age will get the pension of Rs. 500 per month.
- The widow and disabled construction workers are also eligible to get the benefit of the pension scheme.