The Union Government bestows National Sports Awards every year to recognize and reward excellence in sports in India.
These awards include Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Dronacharya Award, Arjuna Award, Dhyan Chand Award, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy and Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puruskar.
2016 Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
It is India’s highest sporting award given for the spectacular and most outstanding performance in the field of sports by a sportsperson over a period of four years.
- PV Sindhu (Badminton),
- Sakshi Malik (Wrestling),
- Dipa Karmakar (Gymnastics)
- Jitu Rai (Shooting).
2016 Dronacharya Award
It bestowed upon coaches for producing medal winners at prestigious international sports events.
- Nagapuri Ramesh (Athletics),
- Sagar Mal Dhayal (Boxing),
- Raj Kumar Sharma (Cricket),
- Bishweshwar Nandi (Gymnastics),
- S. Pradeep Kumar (Swimming)
- Mahabir Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Arjuna Award
It is India’s second highest sporting award bestowed upon sportsperson for consistently outstanding performance for four years.
- Rajat Chauhan (Archery),
- Lalita Babar (Athletics),
- Sourav Kothari (Billiards & Snooker),
- Shiva Thapa (Boxing),Ajinkya Rahane (Cricket),
- Subrata Paul (Football), Rani (Hockey),
- Raghunath V.R. (Hockey),
- Gurpreet Singh (Shooting),
- Apurvi Chandela (Shooting),
- Soumyajit Ghosh (Table Tennis),
- Vinesh (Wrestling),
- Amit Kumar (Wrestling),
- Sandeep Singh Mann (Para-Athletics)
- Virender Singh (Wrestling).
2016 Dhyan Chand Award
It is bestowed upon sportspersons for life time contribution to sports development.
- Satti Geetha (Athletics),
- Sylvanus Dung Dung (Hockey)
- Rajendra Pralhad Shelke (Rowing).
2015-16 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad (MAKA) Trophy
It is bestowed upon overall top performing university in inter-university tournaments.
- Punjabi University, Patiala.