P V Sindhu wins silver in women’s singles badminton
- Ace shuttler of India Pusarla Venkata Sindhu (21-year) has won a silver medal in women’s singles badminton event at Rio Olympics, 2016.
- World No-1 Spain’s Carolina Marin (23-year) beat Sindhu 21-19, 21-12, 21-15 at the badminton final to take Gold medal. Sindhu is the first Indian female and first ever Indian shuttler to win an Olympic Silver medal .
About P V Sindhu
P V Sindhu was born on 5th July 1995 in Hyderabad, India,to P. V. Ramana and P. Vijaya- both former volleyball players. She eventually started playing badminton from the age of eight.
Urjit Patel appointed as new RBI Governor
- Today, Urjit Patel (52-year) has been appointed as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) after Raghuram Rajan demits office on September 4 2016. Patel’s appointment has been made on the recommendation of the Financial Sector Regulatory Appointments Search Committee (FSRASC), headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
- Mr. Patel has been serving as Deputy Governor of the central bank for more than three years. He has worked with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) between 1990 and 1995 covering the US, India, Bahamas and Myanmar desks.
About Urjit R Patel:
Patel obtained his BA from the London School of Economics .M. Phil. degree fromOxford University in 1986. He holds a Doctorate (Ph.D) in Economics from Yale University in 1990.
Usain Bolt wins gold in 4×100 relay
- Jamaican Sprinter Usain Bolt bagged his third Gold in Rio Olympics 2016.
- Usain won the 4×100 meters relay and bid farewell to Olympics with 9 sprint Gold Medals to his name. He combined with Asafa Powell, Yohan Blake and Nickel Ashmeade to lift gold in a time of 37.27 seconds.
- Earlier,Bolt has won the 100 meters, 200 meters and 4×100 meters in Beijing 2008,London 2012 and now in Rio 2016.
Pt Shiv Kumar Sharma to get lifetime achievement award
- Sursagar Society of Dilli Gharana has announced that Santoor maestro Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma will be conferred upon with the annual Sangeet Martand Ustad Chand Khan Lifetime Achievement Award 2016.
- The society has been felicitating stalwarts of Indian classical music and dance with the award since 1986 to recognize their contribution towards enriching the art forms. Last year,the honour was conferred upon Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj. The award carries a cash prize of 50000 rupees, a memento and a citation.
DTC passengers will be able to pay bus fares using metro smart card
- From October this year,Delhiites will be able to pay Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC)bus fares using their metro smart card. Passengers will be required to swipe their metro smart card through E-Ticketing Machines (ETM)to be installed inside the DTC buses. The corporation has conducted a successful trial using the smart card through ETM installed in a bus.
- A common mobility card will be introduced this year which passengers can use to travel on both the Metro and DTC buses.
BRICS women Parliamentarian’s forum begins in Jaipur
- Today, a two-day meeting of BRICS women parliamentarian’s forum began in Jaipur,Rajasthan.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan has inaugurated the meeting which will have different plenary sessions.Total 43 Parliamentarians from BRICS countries including 28 MPs from Lok Sabha andRajya Sabha are participating in the meeting .where sustainable development goals are being discussed.
- BRICS is the grouping of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Forex reserve at record high of USD 365.82 billion
- India’s foreign exchange reserves surged by USD 73.2 million to touch a life-time high of USD 365.82 billion in the last week ended.According to RBI press release, foreign currency assets increased by USD 81.6 million to USD 340.36 billion.
- Last year,the reserves had increased by USD 253.6 million to touch USD 365.75 billion. Gold reserves remained unchanged at USD 21.58 billion in the week.
India ranks 66th in 2016 Global Innovation Index
- The Global Innovation Index (GII) 2016 (9th edition) has released jointly by Cornell University, INSEAD and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).India has jumped up by 15 spots (81th in 2015) ranked 66th in the 2016 Global Innovation Index (GII).
- The index ranks world economies since 2007 according to their innovation capabilities using more than 80 indicators.
Top 5 countries in the ranking:
- United Kingdom
- United States of America