First SAARC Youth Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad
- The First SAARC Young Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad, Pakistan with the key theme of “Peace & Harmony for Development“.
- The two-day ( 16-18th August 2016) intends to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016.
- The conference was hosted by the Pakistan National Assembly and was inaugurated by National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq.
- 8 parliamentary delegates from 8 SAARC member countries are participating in the conference.
- Three-member Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo(BJD Lok Sabha), Alok Tiwari of Samajwadi Party in the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha MPDevisingh Patel reached Islamabad to attend the conference.
President appoints Governor of Assam, Manipur and Punjab
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed new governors for Assam, Manipur, Punjaband Lieutenant Governor for Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Governor of Manipur- Najma Heptulla had served as Union Minority Affairs Minister in the Union Cabinet of NDA Government.
- Governor of Assam – Banwarilal Purohit is a three-time former member of Lok Sabha from Nagpur and Managing Editor of Central India’s daily ‘The Hitavada’.
- Governor of Punjab – VP Singh Badnore hails from Rajasthan and is associated with Mayo College, Ajmer.
- Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands – Jagdish Mukhi is Delhi-based BJP leader and former MLA from Delhi.
A R Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award
- Noted music composer A.R. Rahman has been honoured by the America Tamil Sangam with its Tamil Ratna Award.
- The award has been presented by New York based Tamil Sangam.
- Rahman was bestowed with the honour after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber.
- He was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
Haryana govt to install 3050 solar water pumps
- Haryana Government has decided to install 3050 solar water pumps of 2 HP, 5 HP and 10 Horse Power during this financial year in the state.
- The farmers will share 10% of the body of solar pump and the remaining 90% costwould be shared by the Central and State Government as financial assistance.
- This will result in solar capacity addition of 14.64 MW.
Eminent Punjabi writer Gurdial Singh passes away
- Eminent Punjabi writer and novelist Gurdial Singh (83-year) passed away after a prolonged illness.
- He contributed towards the promotion of Punjabi language, literature and culture.
- One of his prominent works was ‘Marhi da Deeva’.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 1998, Jnanpith in 1999, Sahitya Akademi Award, Nanak Singh Novelist Award (1975) among others.
Malayalam screenwriter TA Razaq passes away
- Malayalam filmmaker-scriptwriter TA Razaq (58-year) passed away in Kochi.
- He began his career working as an assistant director with the film Dhwani in 1987.
- Razaq won his first state award for the film Kanakkinavu, which was directed by Sibi Malayil in 1997.
RBI imposes penalty on four cooperative banks
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed penalties of up to Rs. 5 lakh on 4 cooperative banks for violation of norms.
- A penalty of Rs 5 lakh on The Cooperative City Bank, Guwahati, for flouting KYC normsand non-adherence to requirements relating to identification and reporting of suspicious transactions.
- A penalty of Rs 2 lakh has been imposed on Indapur Urban Co-operative Bank, in Pune district of Maharashtra for violations of norms related to KYC and anti-money laundering and credit exposure norms on loans.
- A penalty of Rs 1 lakh on Shri Dadasaheb Gajmal Co-operative Bank in Pachora of Maharashtra’s district of Jalgaon for violation of norms relating to creation of floating charge on its assets without prior permission.
- A penalty of Rs 1 lakh on The Model Cooperative Urban Bank, Hyderabad, Telangana for violation directives and guidelines on loans and advances to directors and their relatives.
Argentina & Belgium reach Olympic Games hockey final
- Argentina and Belgium reached the Olympic Games hockey final for the first time.
- Argentina stunned Germany, the gold medallists in 2008 and 2012, by 5-2 while Belgium clinched a 3-1 semi-final win over neighbours Netherlands (1996 and 2000champions).
- Defender Gonzalo Peillat hit a hat-trick of penalty corners with Joaquin Menini and Lucas Vila giving Argentina a 5-0 lead.
Sri Lanka beat Australia in Third test Match
- Sri Lanka won the third and final Test against Australia by 163 runs.
- Spinner Rangana Herath taking seven wickets for 64 runs.
- Set a formidable target of 324 in their second innings,Australia were all out for 160.
- It was the third time in a row that the Australians had lost all of their Tests in away series against teams from the sub-continent.
- Sri Lanka had beaten Australia in a Test series only once before, in 1999 under Sanath Jayasuriya’s captaincy.
1st innings- 355/9
2nd Innings- 347d/8
1st Innings -379/10
- Rangana Herath named Man of the match for his 13 wickets.